Colgate® Duraphat® 5000ppm Fluoride Toothpaste (1.1% Sodium Fluoride) (Rx only)
A dental-caries preventive for three times-daily self-applied topical use.
Sodium Fluoride 1.1% (w/w)
Liquid Sorbitol (Non-crystallising), Dental Type Silica, Dental Type Silica (Precipitated), Macrogol 600, Tetrapotassium, Pyrophosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate (E211), Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, Spearmint flavouring (containing Peppermint Oil, Carvone, Spearmint Oil, Menthol, Anethol, and Lemon Oil), Saccharin Sodium, Brilliant Blue FCF (E133) and Purified Water.
Sodium fluoride applied topically after tooth eruption reduces caries by inhibiting demineralization and promoting remineralization of the tooth surface. It is effective on both enamel and exposed dentine.
There is a clinically-proven dose-dependent relationship between the level of fluoride in a daily toothpaste and the degree of clinical anti-caries efficacy.1
The longer the duration of topical fluoride application, the greater the anti-caries benefit.
- Delivers clinically-proven greater caries reduction than regular toothpaste — approximately 70 per cent caries reduction for a 5000ppm fluoride1
- Minimum disruption to patient's regular routine helps to maximise patient compliance.
- Helps to maximize patient compliance.
- Proven efficacy available for a wide range of patients.
Colgate® Duraphat® 5000ppm Fluoride Toothpaste (1.1% Sodium Fluoride) (Rx Only)
Colgate® Duraphat® 5000ppm fluoride toothpaste is a high fluoride toothpaste for the prevention of dental caries in adults over 16 years — particularly amongst patients at high risk from caries.
Instructions and Usage
1. WHAT DURAPHAT® TOOTHPASTE IS AND WHAT IT IS USED FOR
Duraphat® Toothpaste is used to help prevent dental caries (tooth decay) in adolescents aged 16 years and over and adults, particularly amongst patients at risk from multiple caries. This toothpaste contains fluoride as sodium salt, which belongs to a group of medicines called caries preventing agents.
2. BEFORE YOU USE DURAPHAT® TOOTHPASTE
Do not use Duraphat® Toothpaste
- If you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Sodium Fluoride or any of the other ingredients of Duraphat® Toothpaste.
Take special care with Duraphat® Toothpaste
- Duraphat® Toothpaste has a high fluoride content. Fluoride tablets, drops, chewing gum, gels or varnishes, as well as fluoridated water or salt, should be avoided during the use of Duraphat® Toothpaste. In order to prevent accumulation of fluoride, your total intake must be assessed before using this fluoride toothpaste. Ask your dentist or pharmacist concerning this matter.
- Duraphat® Toothpaste is not intended for use in adolescents and children under 16 years of age.
Using other medicines
No interactions with other medicines are known. Please tell your dentist or pharmacist if you are taking or have recently taken any other medicines, including medicines obtained without a prescription.
Using Duraphat® Toothpaste with food and drink
Fluoridated water and salt should be avoided during the use of this toothpaste. Food and drink, if taken immediately after brushing, may have an inhibitory effect on the remineralisation of the teeth. Therefore brush your teeth with Duraphat® Toothpaste after meals.
Pregnancy and breast-feeding
There is no experience from the use of Duraphat® in pregnant women. If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, ask your doctor, dentist or pharmacist before using this toothpaste as for any medicine.
Important information about some of the ingredients of Duraphat® Toothpaste
3. HOW TO USE DURAPHAT® TOOTHPASTE
Duraphat® Toothpaste is for use by persons aged 16 years and above. Always use Duraphat® Toothpaste exactly as your dentist or pharmacist has told you. You should check with your dentist or pharmacist if you are not sure. Use Duraphat® Toothpaste 3 times a day for brushing your teeth
- apply a 2 cm ribbon onto your toothbrush for each brushing (2 cm provides between 3 mg and 5 mg of fluoride).
- brush your teeth after each meal.
- rtically, from the gum to the tip of the tooth.
- spit out excess foam and do not swallow
Careful brushing takes approximately 3 minutes.
4. POSSIBLE SIDE EFFECTS
Like all medicines, Duraphat® Toothpaste can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. In some rare cases (i.e. less than 1 in 1000 people treated) allergic (hypersensitivity) reactions can occur e.g. rash, itching, swelling and redness. Burning oral sensation has also been reported. If any of the side effects gets serious, or if you notice any side effects not listed in this leaflet, please tell your dentist or pharmacist.
5. HOW TO STORE DURAPHAT® TOOTHPASTE
Keep out of the reach and sight of children
Do not use Duraphat® Toothpaste after the expiry date which is stated on the tube and carton after “Expiry date”. The expiry date refers to the last day of that month. Do not store above 25°C.
6. FURTHER INFORMATION
What Duraphat® Toothpaste contains
- The active substance is fluoride (as sodium fluoride).
1 g of toothpaste contains 5 mg fluoride, corresponding to 5000ppm fluoride.
- The other ingredients are Liquid Sorbitol (Non-crystallising), Dental Type Silica, Dental Type Silica (Precipitated), Macrogol 600, Tetrapotassium Pyrophosphate, Xanthan Gum, Sodium Benzoate
(E211), Sodium Laurilsulfate, Spearmint flavouring (containing Peppermint Oil, Carvone,
Spearmint Oil, Menthol, Anethol, and Lemon Oil), Saccharin Sodium, Brilliant Blue FCF (E133),
and Purified Water.
What Duraphat® Toothpaste looks like and contents of the pack
Duraphat® Toothpaste is a blue coloured toothpaste.
It is supplied in a 51g tube, enclosed in an outer carton.
Pack sizes: 1 x 51g tube or 3 x 51g tubes.